Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas in Casablanca

Just another day in Casablanca (Dec 25)
As you can imagine, being in a Muslim country for Christmas means you're one of a very small percentage celebrating on December 25th. Nevertheless, my flatmate and I managed to do it with the appropriate amounts of Christmas cheer!

Being in Morocco during the holiday season is quite different from being in Canada. That cheerfulness and special feeling that infuses most people in the lead up to Christmas at home is not present here. It's just another day at the office in Casablanca (literally). That exciting countdown to Christmas, the advent calendars, the public decorations, and the Christmas music playing in every store is all absent of course. 
 
There were a couple ways to carry out the traditions relating to Christmas here in Casa. Firstly, with the help of a friend, I got a Christmas tree set up and decorated in mid-December. The same friend was sad we'd be staying in Casa for the holidays so he bought us a couple of Santa hats to wear at work on Christmas, and a few presents to open on Christmas day. 

I also tuned in to the trusty STAR 92.9 out of Vermont through an online radio app to get my dose of Christmas music. STAR 92.9 plays only Christmas music from American Thanksgiving right up to Dec. 25th, so you can memorize those catchy lyrics in the month up to the holiday. 

We both wore our Santa hats (that lit up no less) at work, which our co-workers loved (they all tried it on for photos)! When we got home we cooked up some stovetop stuffing, boiled carrots, and mashed potatoes to go with our rotisserie chicken and sides. Not too shabby! 

On Boxing Day my package from my mom finally arrived. It was filled with all sorts of Christmas decorations. When I got home I set them up, it's Christmas until little Christmas, right? 

After waiting 7 weeks for the package from my Gramma, it finally arrived on Friday. It was lots of fun to open up more wrapped presents. I apparently have a few waiting at home to be unwrapped in March! I got some electronic gifts (e-books and a Chapters gift card, yay!), and I'm still waiting for Poste Maroc to deliver all my Christmas cards, as well as the gift from my sister. 

I hope you had a very merry Christmas wherever you are, and wish you a happy, healthy new year filled with adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment