Friday, September 14, 2012

First week adventures: cockroaches, communications and coordination

First impressions
I arrived just over a week ago in sunny Casablanca, and noticed a few things right away:

the view of my street from my balcony
-it is hot. We're talking 28-30 degrees Celsius on a daily basis. They're predicting 31 for this weekend. And the sun is brighter that I've ever seen it. On the walk to work at 9 a.m. it is high in the sky, and on the way home, it is blinding. I even got a bit of a sunburn on my 3rd day. There's only been one semi-cloudy day so far in 10 days, and it cleared out to allow the afternoon blinding to begin. 

-it is big. The city is 3 million people and you definitely can get lost if you're not paying attention. Luckily I live about a 7 minute walk from work, so that is an easy daily commute. We (myself and another MEDA intern) have a lovely large apartment, in a Moroccan neighbourhood (I think we are the only Westerners). But there is a market down the street and tons of local shops. You don't have to go far to get what you need, despite it being a huge city.


-it can be smelly. With this heat, and that many people, there is a lot of garbage in the streets. Of course, that can create a certain aroma...They do collect it regularly, and there are street cleaners, but you appreciate your recycling and compost at home more when you don't have access to either. 

-there are feral cats! This might seem obvious to some people but I've seen dozens of cats all over the city. Not house cats, wild cats. A mother cat even gave birth in the hall in our office building. The kittens were adorable, but sadly, they had been displaced when we came in on Monday.

Communication Development Internship
I walked to the Hassan II Mosque one evening, it is stunning
 The whole reason I am in Casablanca for six months is to work as the Communication Development Intern with MEDA (Mennonite Economic Development Associates) Maroc office. I started on Monday, and they've been letting me get acclimatized, but I did learn what my tasks will be for the duration of the internship and they sound both challenging and fun. I'll be writing up financial success stories about youth that have participated in the YouthInvest program (3 per month) which will involve monthly trips to Oujda, where MEDA Maroc has a regional office, to interview youth. Did I mention it is a 10 hour train ride overnight to get there? It will be a great opportunity to travel and see more of the country. 

I'll also work on the English version of the newsletter, help with a study they will be doing, and help put together a document that details all of the financial services for youth in Morocco. This will be the biggest job to take on. I'll also help with additional communications work as needed, and help do some knowledge management for MEDA. 

Cockroaches
Now you want to know why I put cockroaches in the title. That's because, having never seen any before arriving in Morocco, I have now had to dispose of two of these intensely gross, huge, FAST bugs. The first was pretty dopey, so maybe it was on the way out anyways, but I helped him out by tossing him out the window. The second was much more creepy as I watched it race through our apartment living room and into the kitchen. Then, while I tried to figure out how to catch or kill it, it raced to our bathroom. Crouching under the sink with the cabinets open, I managed to stun/hit it several times with the dustpan before quickly scooping it up and flushing it down the toilet. No one warned me about cockroaches before I arrived. *Shudder*


Coordination 
I am quickly getting settled in to life here in Morocco. Having a roommate who is also an intern has been really helpful - she arrived before me and has helped me learn and adapt quickly to the neighbourhood. The apartment is furnished but, for my own peace of mind, I bought sheets and a new pillow for my bed. I don't know where Moroccans buy their linens, but it definitely wasn't where I bought mine! The cost me 3 times what they would have in Canada! Oh, wal-mart, how I miss you! Everything else here is very cheap. A chocolate croissant (they love bread and it seems to be the staple of all meals) is only 3 dirhams (about 30 cents) and everything else (other than American bedsheets I suppose!) is similarly priced.



The Hassan II Mosque from the seawall, it is one of the largest in the world, about 15 mins walk from the apartment

6 comments:

  1. Great pictures!!! the mosque looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post Caitlyn. I could not agree more about the sheets! I just bought some in the Mercato in Addis (supposed to be the biggest market in Africa!) and they were so expensive compared to what I could get in Canada. But there are other things, like shoe shines that are 5 birr (25 cents) that are nice to have haha. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Devon, I'm really interested in hearing about life in Addis, let me know when you start your blog! Does Katie have one yet? I think I paid $110 CAN for a pillow and a set of single sheets. woe is me. Oh well, its better than what was on the bed before! But I should have tried a market before going to the shops downtown, oh well, I know what quality I bought at least!

      Delete
  3. Hey Caitlyn!

    So great to read your blog! Morocco looks stunning! Can't wait to hear more about your experience.. I definitely want to come for a visit! Sheets are pretty pricey here too (in Addis, like Devon said).. any imported goods of brands we recognize - especially shampoos and things like that are like two to three times as much as they are at home! Look forward to hearing more from you soon doll!

    xoxo,

    Katy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy, I know what you mean about imported goods - my Frosted Flakes are from France! haha. Cereal is not really popular here, I might explain more about food in my next one - that's a good topic idea! I'm really glad I brought a supply of all my basics - toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. They won't all last the whole trip, but even for part of it would be great. take care, xo
      Caitlin

      Delete
  4. Will need to get on pot, pan, linen shopping soon! Alan and I move in on Friday. Cannot wait!!

    Also, fantastic that you get to go regularly to visit other parts of the country for work! Looking forward to see photos on your commute to Oujda! =]

    x
    marie

    ReplyDelete